16 Feb She left a six figure salary job to pursue her dreams, here are 20 insights she used to fight her fears.
Are you ready to become the person that you were born to be? It is 2016 and I’m sure that you have your list of resolutions. You may be interested in losing weight, starting a business, expanding a business, switching careers, leaving an abusive spouse, having/adopting a child, or moving to a new city. You believe that 2016 will be the year that you “just do it”. But will fear get the best of you again? Will fear prevent you from fulfilling your ambitions?
Three months ago, I left my six figure salary job as a corporate attorney for a major financial institution in order to answer a calling of empowering others through storytelling. I wrote about it here.
I became a full-time author,storyteller, speaker, trainer, and workshop provider. As a New York married mother of two preschool-aged boys, I was fearful. In the months leading up to the decision, I could not sleep. Demons of fear surrounded me as I lay, whispering the following questions. Am I good enough? Would we lose our house? Would we wind up in a shelter? Would we starve? Am I crazy? Those fears still affect me. The road has not been easy and I’m experiencing financial challenges. But I have faith that I made the right decision and that I am becoming the woman that the universe is calling me to be. The following 20 quotes continue to help me conquer fear. I hope that they will help you too. Contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions loved ones
1. “Everything you want is on the other side of fear.” – Jack Canfield
Think about it loved ones. That new job is on the other side of fear. That new business is on the other side of fear. That new relationship is on the other side of fear. Most people with new jobs, new businesses, and new romantic relationships went after it. They submitted applications, called potential clients, and they asked others out on dates. If you want the breakthrough, you have to want the breakthrough more than you fear the breakthrough.
2. “I did not ask permission, I gave notice.” – Lisa Nichols
Motivational speaker and best-selling author Lisa Nichols discusses the experience of being a mother of an infant son without money for diapers for two days. That was her rock bottom and then she decided to radically transform her life. She attended the same conference 42 times in order to raise over $500,000 for her motivational speaking business. She overcame fears by becoming committed to the result that she wanted. She made the decision to be great – without apology. See her short and emotional testimony below.
3. “Just be yourself, everyone is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
Do you feel as if you are living someone else’s life? Do you feel as if you are living someone else’s dream for yourself. There is only one you on the face of this earth. It is time to be you without fearing the repercussions.
4. “If you hear the dogs, keep going. If you see the torches in the woods, keep going. If there’s shouting after you, keep going. Don’t ever stop. Keep going. If you want a taste of freedom, keep going.” – Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman says that she freed over a thousand slaves and she could have freed a thousand more if they had only known that they were slaves. What does it take to face the threat of capture, torture, and death in the quest for freedom? It clearly takes a spirit that refuses to quit. It takes a spirit that will “keep going”. You can have that spirit.
5. “What would you attempt to do If you knew that you could not fail?” – Unknown
There is only one you and you have only one life, so live it fully. Life is supposed to be fun, exciting, and exhilarating. Stop allowing the fear of failure to paralyze you. Failure is simply a sign to tweak your course of action.
6. “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
Are you judging yourself by an inappropriate standard? Conquering fear is about developing confidence regarding your greatness. You develop that confidence by creating your own standard and by refusing to be judged by foreign standards.
7. “What is the purpose of my life? What am I going to do?” Narayanan Krishnan
After seeing a homeless man eating his own human excrement out of hunger, Narayanan Krishnan quit his job as a chef at a fancy hotel in order to feed the homeless and mentally ill in his hometown in India. His job as a chef at a fancy hotel did not seem meaningful or fulfilling given the crushing poverty in his community. Are you having such a moment? Narayanan Krishnan felt called to feed the homeless and he did not allow fear of poverty, social stigma, or danger to stop him. Are you answering your call?
8. “If you want to have a life that is worth living, a life that expresses your deepest feelings and emotions and cares and dreams, you have to fight or it.” – Alice Walker
Mediocrity is fairly easy. Society is set up for you to just be average. It is set up for you to have the average education of people in your class, to get an average job, eat average food, and die of average causes. But if there is something inside of you which is yearning to do more, be more, and live more of an exceptional life – you have to get over your fears and fight for that life.
9. “Whatever you can do, or dream you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” – Goethe
Are you ready to experience the magic, power,and genius of boldness? The boldness is a result of conquering your fears.
10. “Find your gift. You were entrusted with special talents that no one else on earth has. You must devote yourself to finding and cultivating those gifts. You also have to develop the confidence to share them, otherwise they will be lost forever and the world will be harmed as a result.” – Ama Karikari-Yawson
Please watch me discuss this very point a presentation for college students below.
11. “Be bold-and mighty forces will come to your aid.” – Basil King
I have been pleasantly shocked by the angels who have come to my aid since I quit. Two friends set up a DC school speaking tour for me. One bookstore owner invited me to Chicago to be interviewed by BBC with her, fed me, and housed me. An educator set up two private home Kwanzaa speaking engagements for me in which I sold over 40 copies of my first book, Sunne’s Gift. The list goes on. Do you have trust in the universe to support you?
12. “You can’t just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream, you’ve got to get out there and make it happen for yourself.” – Diana Ross
What are you waiting for? You have so much work to do in making your dreams come true.
13. “The true desire in the heart for anything good, is God’s proof to you, sent beforehand, to indicate that it is your’s already” – Denzel Washington
You already have it. You have your manifested dreams. Claim it! Create incremental goals for it! Work for it! Be disciplined about it! Be consistent about it!
14. “Self-sabotage is knowing exactly what you need to do to improve but not doing it. It’s procrastinating doing the very things that you know will make you happier. It’s waiting till things are 100% perfect till you do them, but that of course never happens. It’s remaining in the comfort zone because of the fear of failure or uneasiness of change. It’s a mindset that you may be completely unaware of until you really think about it. So think about it. Are you a prisoner of your own thoughts? If you are, take responsibility and acknowledge you put yourself into that prison. But know that you have the power to free yourself.” – Caitlin Japa
15. “The worse feeling that anyone can live with is regret.” -Professor Natalie Nixon
I had the pleasure of meeting Professor Natalie Nixon in person when we both did a George School TEDx event. Her words about regret really resonated with me. How would you feel at the end of your life if you never found the courage to pursue your dreams?
16. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”Jeremiah 29:11New International Version (NIV)
Even the atheists among us can appreciate the power of this quote. This quote represents the powerful belief that an omnipresent and omnipotent creator or creative force intends for us to prosper. We just have to do our part with respect to having the faith to enable the greater plan to unfold.
17. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure… We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – Marianne Williamson
18. “Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto“, or “I am human, and nothing of that which is human is alien to me.”-Terence
If you embrace your full humanity you will recognize that you are a human being and therefore capable of the same greatness of other human beings such as Martin Luther King Jr., Albert Einstein, Malcolm X, Harriet Tubman, John Brown, Kwame Nkrumah, and Yaa Asantewaa. They answered their callings. Will you?
19. “If you want to be successful, you have to jump.” -Steve Harvey
Steve Harvey discusses the need to jump towards your greatness. He describes the desire to be great as being on the edge of a cliff with a parachute. You must jump in order for your parachute to open. You can stay on the edge and be safe, but you will never fly. Are you ready to take a risk and jump towards your destiny?
20. “Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” -Thomas Alva Edison
Get to work loved ones. It’s 2016!
originally published via her blog Milestales